GORDON’S ONE-FOOTED HOP

By Kelsey Gross


Tap, tap, tap. 

The knocking echoed through Gordon’s dark house. 

“Come out!” Nina shouted. “It’s Valentine’s Day!” 

“I can’t,” he muttered.

Gordon dreaded the Valentine’s Dance. 

I can only do a goofy one-footed hop!

What if everyone laughs? 

He clenched down hard.

If I clam up and hide, she’ll think I’m not home. 

The knocking stopped.  

But at lunchtime…

Tap, tap, tap. 

“Gordon? I brought candy!” 

Gordon’s stomach flip-flopped. 

I can’t, he thought. I can’t let Nina see my stumbly-bumbly dancing! 

The knocking stopped.  

But that afternoon...

Tap, tap, tap. 

“Gordon?” Nina sniffled. “I guess I’ll go to the dance alone, but... 

...can you at least come get your valentine?” 

I can! thought Gordon. I must be with my sweetheart. It’s Valentine’s Day! 

CREAK! 

Gordon swallowed,

slid his foot out,

and inched into the sand.

“Sorry it took me so long to come out of my shell.” 

Nina brightened. “It’s OK. I love you, even when you’re feeling shy! Here’s your valentine.” 

She drifted away.

“Wait!” Gordon felt clammy. 

“I made you a gift.”

Nina gasped. “A pearl! You’re the cutest clam in the ocean.” 

“Time for the dance!” Gordon said. “I can’t wait to see you skim across the sea floor.”

He winked. "Who knows, maybe I'll show you my spe-shell one-footed hop!"

Comments